You're Named for a Saint

By Nick Hoffman

The fittingness of it: 

old language, old book

and always found 

on calf skin, pulled and dried


With that name, if anything bloody 

ever happened to you, 

it would mean something 


In the bathtub, they rub off easy

your wick-cut letters

and I’ve cleaned for now 

those etymologies and other daily dusts


The shame of admitting it:

I forget my own mother sometimes

how she made me and thought, “yes,

this one will be a gift-giver 

and bring storms to a whimper”


Eyes closed and my palms upward

I wonder fully, and I pray halfway

thinking of the feast days 

falling between March and harvest


But your name is the spring, 

and the spring is a numb chariot,

bursting forth in its senseless living


Its wheels scatter a planet 

of supplicant flies, thin hands

fingerless and busy, humming

vespers at the watermelon rinds


And I love to watch you

and the seeds swell over days


Ticks stuck in the pink flesh



Nicholas Hoffman is a medievalist and writer from the Hudson Valley. He lives outside Washington, DC, with his partner and any number of pet rats. His work has appeared in Chronogram, Night Picnic, and Eunoia Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment